Salary 2015 - 2016
PGY-5 $61,350 - fellows
- Free parking
- ACLS and BLS certification provided yearly
- White coats, scrubs and laundry
- On-call meals (dining room/café)
- Occupational heath services (physicals, PPD, flu shots)
- Notary services (work-related)
- Credit union
- Employee Assistance Program
- Emergency House Staff loans
- Flex Fund
- Discounts: meals, movie tickets, pharmacy, legal resources
Life, medical and dental*, professional liability, disability
A number of programs (such as Social Security, workers' compensation, state disability, unemployment insurance and family leave) cover all MedStar NRH employees in the manner prescribed by law. Details of the programs can be obtained from the MedStar NRH Human Resources department.
* require contributions from the employee
Educational Fund & Benefits
Each resident receives a stipend of $833.00 per year that can be used for books, conference travel (lodging, transportation, fees), board reviews, stethoscopes and PDAs.
PGY-4 residents receive an additional $450.00 per year after serving as chief resident (quarterly term).
A set of PM&R textbooks is given to each PGY-2 resident at the beginning of training:
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (Braddom)
- Clinical Orthopedic Rehabilitation (Brotzman)
- Electromyography and Neuromuscular Disorders (Preston & Shapiro)
- Fundamentals of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound (Jacobson)
- Managing Spinal Cord Injury (Groah)
- Managing Post-Polio (Halstead)
- Managing Brain Injury (Yochelson & Wolfe)
- Managing Stroke (Rao/Conroy/Baron)
This selection of textbooks may change depending on availability.
There is a graduate medical education suite, with two on-call sleeping quarters, a lounge equipped with internet access, Ovid, Medline, electronic books and journals, MD Consult and Up-to-Date.
The Residency Program Library, available in-house to residents 24/7, contains a collection of selected PM&R and specialty-related textbooks and journals.
Residents may also use the library at MedStar Washington Hospital Center (adjacent to MedStar NRH), which features an extensive collection of PM&R and multi-specialty textbooks, journals, educational videos and DVDs.