It’s Here! Announcing the Launch of the RERC-DC Website
Posted in News Story
We are pleased to announce the launch of the Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center-DC (RERC-DC) website. The Mission of RERC-DC is to champion innovative rehabilitation technologies and approaches that will improve therapeutic outcomes among individuals with neurologic impairment. RERC-DC will develop and test home-based devices and techniques with the unifying goal of increasing spontaneous motor activity in the impaired limbs. Specifically, this RERC hopes to achieve the following long-term outcomes:
- Enhance patient-centered therapeutic outcomes through activity-based interventions.
- Promote commercial adoption of devices and subsequent successful market penetration.
- Expand access to rehabilitation by developing home-based interventions.
- Develop new tools for motivating and measuring spontaneous functional movement.
- Train a new generation of clinicians and engineers working with rehabilitation devices.
Peter Lum, chair of Biomedical Engineering, serves as RERC-DC’s director, leading an interdisciplinary team of investigators from four area institutions including Catholic University, MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital (NRH), Children’s National Health System, and Johns Hopkins University. The dynamic team includes physicians, scientists, research therapists, and engineers.
The center builds on an existing collaboration between Catholic University Biomedical Engineering and NRH called the Center for Applied Biomechanics and Rehabilitation Research (CABRR), which was founded in 2002 and is currently directed by Peter Lum.
Check out the website here